Wednesday, January 1, 2014

1/1/2014

Happy New Year! New Years for me was great. I got into Cape Town about an hour before midnight and met up with the group of Africa Jammers at a sweet little place a few blocks from the hotel. We met some pretty righteous people, many who were dressed in costumes, and it seemed like a second Halloween. I also got my first South African number.. so even after 33 hours of traveling I was still looking pretty human!

Today was totally awesome. I woke up at 9:30 for breakfast and then I was able to video chat with some of my friends back home who were still celebrating the new year. It looked like they were having as much fun as I did the night before (remember I am 8 hours ahead). After I talked to my friends I tried to nap but that completely failed because Cinderella was on tv. As I watched it I quickly realized that I don't ever remember seeing the entire movie and was confused by the last chunk of the movie. I'll have to watch it another time.

After my attempted nap I met up with Billy Johnson, Julie Nielson (Billy's girlfriend), Marnie Carlson,  Kristi Youngdahl, and Grady St. Dennis to go to Camps Bay beach. It was packed with people enjoying the 80 degree weather. While we were waiting for Kristi and Julie to get water outside of the Pick n Pay (grocery store) some nutty old lady came up to me, Marnie, Billy, and Grady as we were applying sunscreen. We thought that maybe she wanted some as well because she kept holding out her arm and waving it around but then suddenly this woman grabs my arm and leaned in to try and kiss my girls! I jumped away quickly, because I mean this lady could have at least bought me dinner first, and she carried on walking down the street. The four of us stood there for a couple minutes processing what just happened, then we had a good laugh about it.

Once we got down to the beach we found a nice spot and caught some rays. The beach was packed with people and the tide was bringing in some huge waves so we went down for a swim to cool off. In the water there was maybe hundreds of people and they all started to clap their hands and began singing a song that everyone seemed to know so I would guess that it may be an anthem of some sort. It was one of the most fun things I've ever seen. As the waves crashed to the shore everyone was playing in the water and the children would run up and splash and we would return with splashes back to them. As one of the bigger waves came in I had every intention of running further up shore so I wouldn't be taken out by it but some local guys noticed my hesitation and picked me up and carried me closer to the swell and we were all taken out. It was pretty fun.

Later in the day we saw a girl around the age of a high schooler be carried up to the lifeguard building and she didn't appear to be conscious. We are unsure of what happened but soon we were being told to move back and before we knew it a helicopter was flying in to be landed right where we were on the beach! I had never seen such a thing. As it was landing sand and towels were flying everywhere. Eventually they got the girl into the helicopter and I'm unsure of what happened after that. We took that as our cue to leave and came back to the hotel. I went up to my room and laid down to nap again but ended up sleeping until midnight.

Tomorrow we will make our way to Africa Jam camp which is held at Rocklands Centre where I will also be working for the next year. I'm excited to see the new campers and reunite with the old. I'll keep you updated through out camp, but for now it's back to bed.

Much love! Xo

Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment