Monday, January 20, 2014

1/20/2014

Hello everyone!

I apologize for my lack of posting. I've been keeping myself busy with getting settled, meeting the other interns, and starting training.

The first week of training went really well. I met the other interns, Tarryn, Christine, Charnel, Simon, and Matthew, who I also with be sharing a house with over the next year. We're all relatively close in age, but this is the first time I've been one of the older ones out of the group. I share a room with Tarryn and Charnel, Simon and Matthew shard a room, and Christine has her own because it's her second year at Rocklands. Our house overlooks the ocean and it equipped with two bathrooms, a kitchen, living room, and three bedrooms. It's very comfortable.

We've spent a lot of time training so far. This last week we spent learning knots and rock climbing which I think I've got a knack for as it has been coming pretty easy to me. What hasn't come all that easily is trying to get my sleep schedule on track. Being 8 hours ahead has proven to be pretty difficult. I find myself dozing off during the day and waking up at strange hours at night, but it will sort itself out.

The other interns are from Cape Town so they get to go home on thief days off, and I am totally jealous of that. This last weekend I kept myself busy when everyone went home. Friday, I went into Simon's Town and walked around for a bit, then had dinner at a place by the beach. I had calamari that was stuffed with shrimp and it was so good I'm drooling thinking about it. Saturday, I went downtown with some friends I know from Africa Jam and had a good night with them. Unfortunately I dropped my phone in a toilet and it has decided that it's finally had enough of my shenanigans and went to iPhone heaven... Luckily I still have my iPad, so I'm not completely unplugged.

The view here is breath taking. I can't even give it the credit it deserves. It's like living in a dream world. However, my favorite part is the stars at night. They're so big and bright it's hypnotizing. I've said it a million times, but I really do wish I could take pictures with my eyes so I could share the world the way I see it.

Though night is my favorite time it is also a dreaded part of the day because it brings home sickness to surface. I didn't feel it much at first, but after three weeks it's starting to sneak up on me every now and then. It really doesn't bother me too much, really, I knew it was going to happen eventually... It's only natural Honestly though, when I wake up mornings after being homesick I feel downright ridiculous for being all somber when I get to wake up to such an amazing place, not the mention how many people would be more than happy to be in my position (especially the ones freezing in the blizzards back home).

I really do love it here. I don't ever want to leave! Luckily, I don't have to for another 11 months. I'll  try to post some pictures I've taken so you can see (if you haven't already on my Facebook) if I could ever figure out this stupid blog thing... We'll see. Anyway, that's all for now because I'm pretty tired. I'll try to be better about posting!

Until later!

Maggie
Xo


2 comments:

  1. Great to hear Mags! We miss you like crazy, but your not missing a thing here - have a great time, love you!!

    ReplyDelete