Monday, March 10, 2014

Some Things I Miss

I have been away from home now for 72 days, and as I am nearly midway through month 3 I thought I would share some things I miss most from back home.

My family
Seriously it's amazing how much I miss my family.... And I'm still talking to them pretty much every day. I've been sick the past week and there's nothing I wanted more than to be lying on the couch, yelling at my mom that I don't feel good, have her respond with "I'm sorry honey what can I do to help", and me yell back "I DON'T KNOW". I miss my dad making fun of me for still being a diehard Spongebob Squarepants fan. I miss chilling on the couch with Donny watching movies that we just sit and quote the entire time. I miss going out with PJ and wrestling in the middle of his frat house, while genuinely concerned people who don't know we're siblings, wonder why no one is stopping us. I miss the comfortable chaos that is my family.

My friends





It is mind boggling. I know I love my friends, like duh, but I never realized how much I would miss the random stuff that I never would have thought made a difference. It's hard going anywhere without them because seriously I have the coolest friends. You can't even argue it because I know I'm right. The thing is that I never knew how completely insane we all actually are until I didn't have them by my side... Suddenly I'm this weird ass american girl who partakes in random dancing, burps like a lumberjack, and comes with a singing commentary of everything I do... To name a few talents. I was driving with my roommate and his friend and I saw some people walking on the sidewalk so naturally I screamed "I LOVE PICKLES!!!" At them.... And no one laughed. I was so confused. What I miss most is the days where we all congregate to one of our beds and make/order a buffet that could feed a small country and have a movie marathon or watch britains got talent auditions for five hours.
Penny Big Bang theory photo:  bigbangcomputer.gif
I miss eating a whole pizza and then not being judged for still wanting a McChicken with cheese on it. I can't wait until I reunite with these goons again because not sharing every amazing thing I get to do with them is the hardest.


 Mountain Dew

My life without this sweet nectar is so incomplete. I have no clue what to do with the morning monster that is myself without a cold can of Mountain Dew. To avoid being corrected there actually is Mountain Dew in South Africa but it tastes like flat mellow yellow and if you're a real Dew-er then I need no further explanation on why I wouldn't let it anywhere near my precious taste buds.


Taco Bell


Mean girls photo: Mean Girls MeanGirls2-2.gif

I probably talk about Taco Bell on a daily basis. I dream of rolling hills of fiesta potatoes with flowing waterfalls of nacho cheese and sour cream snowcaps. I get goosebumps when I relive the memory of feeling so full I actually unbutton my pants. I yearn for the instant regret and self shaming that comes with subtly searching for a missed nacho chip as you jam the last wrapper into the bag. I can not wait to break through those doors only to be welcomed by smells of questionable beef and grease. Taco Bell I miss you more and more each and every day.

Not having an accent


Mean girls photo: Mean girls 1295061888616239.jpg


Dear Barbara how much I cannot wait to not be called out for sounding different. Ask me to say water one more time. It has become one of my more favorite things to tell people that I was actually born and raised in Cape Town and watch them get confused. Yes I'm from America. No I do not know Justin Bieber. No I do not know Miley Cyrus. No I don't know your friend's cousin's sister's friend who went to America on holiday in 1873. At the same time I do enjoy being the foreigner so I'm just complaining for kicks.  


Other things I miss that I'm too lazy to go into detail about:

Flavored Greek yogurt---- it was hard enough finding actual Greek yogurt
My bed--- I cannot wait to collapse onto that cloud I use to sleep on each night
Savers--- I miss my favorite store. I suppose I can handle a year without though. 
My lava lamp-- I count the moments until I can fall under my lava lamp hypnosis
Netflix--- 'Sorry netflix isn't available in this part of the world yet' 
Huge gluten free selections-- it's like being GF before the millennium all over again
Teresa's Mexican Restaurant-- I plan to comsume the entire menu when in return
Not wearing pants--- unfortunately not everyone is as comfortable with undies as I

That's all for now folks!

Xo. 

1 comment:

  1. OMG honey this just made me laugh until I cried! WE LOVE YOU SO VERY MUCH! and WE MISS YOU TOO! On the other hand we know what this year will mean to you when it is said n done. The Memories and friendships and sites and experiences that you will have are UNBELIEVABLE!!
    You're not missing anything here my love….Your Family, Friends…Mt.Dew, Taco Bell, Teresa's and Netflix will all be waiting for your return….We are never going anywhere! You are stuck with all of us for LIFE! ;) XOXO

    ReplyDelete